Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Health or Length: The Struggle

     2015 has quickly come and gone! That's a lot of protective styles crammed in the year for me. This past September marked four years since going natural and the struggle is still real. Those familiar with my transition understand when I say I'm still transitioning. There may not be visible signs of relaxed ends, but my uncut hair is still trying to find its happy median in its ability to curl uniformly or comply with my hair products of choice. I don't care what anyone says! Natural hair is stubborn hair!

     With that said, I reminisce on the different styles I've done this year in an effort to protect my fragile ends and try to retain length. I always practice a no heat regimen throughout the year,  except for the one time a year I straighten it. This year I leaned heavily on my curly wigs. Nothing beats throwing on a wig and running out the door! I prefer ease and no drama when styling my hair. I also tried a crochet style for the first time this year. I liked it, but I think I would do it differently next time. Different hair. Different braid pattern.

     September and October I styled my hair with various ponytails. Curly ponytails, of course. My dilemma with these were the colors selected and those pesky combs. As far as colors, the 1Bs were too dark and the 2s were too light. Not to mention the 1 I mistakenly purchased. That was way too dark! But I made them work. For some reason the combs give me tender spots on my scalp and contribute to breakage. Yes, I can use bobby pins (which I do), but I want to make sure that hair is secure! I don't want to discover a video of me on YouTube "taking the limits off"!

     So I ask myself, "What is my true goal?" Why do i wear protective styles? Am I trying to ensure the health of each strand or am I trying to retain length? What am i trying to accomplish by limiting my use of heat? These are honest questions we need to ask ourselves periodically. Honest questions deserve honest answers. I'm wearing protective styles because my hair just will not cooperate and I do not have time to force it to comply every morning. Yes, I want my hair to be the epitome of health, but let's face it ...I just want thick bra-strap length hair. I'll insert here that my hair is finally bra-strap length, but it's thin and heavily layered from the breakage. Moving on. There's no use applying heat to my hair because it never straightens completely. After a warm shower it will revert immediately! Even though I wrap it twice , turn on the bathroom vent, and leave the bathroom door open. So my honest answer shows my honest struggle. There are no amount of YouTube videos I can watch or styles I can try to imitate that will alleviate this reality.

     What I have learned this year is an important lesson for me. I look like me, so don't get caught up trying to perfect someone else's look. I might as well enjoy the hair I have and style it to where I can enjoy it. When I'm bored with my hair, do another style. Send a selfie to a close friend who will help me refine the look I'm trying to go for. Wear a hat. Add a scarf. And when i take that second glance in the mirror, don't forget to smile! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly