Monday, June 8, 2015

I Have Failed!

Summers in the South are hot. Very hot! So in preparation for a weeklong trip, I have determined to not pack clothes that require extensive layering. No heavy fabrics allowed! Problem is, my clothing selection is very limited; especially tops. I decided a refashion was in order.

I selected an oversized cardigan a friend had given me this past winter. I love the royal blue coloring and the patterned stripes and dots added character. It took me a week to decide how to approach the refash.

I removed the bottom trim to make it waist appropriate for me. I'm short waisted, so it was originally too long. I also measured and cut the sleeves to form a 3/4-length instead of the overly long sleeves that stopped past my fingertips. With this done I felt motivated. Well, that all happened this past weekend. Today, I felt completely different.

After cutting my sleeves and trying on the top again, I realized the sleeves were too short. They went above my elbow instead of the 3/4-length I was aiming for. No problem. I'll just add the cuff back on. So today, I pin the cuff down and sew it on the sleeve. The stitch did not stay in line with my seam allowance, so there were a few spots where the sleeve did not attach. No problem. I'll just go over it twice.

I was so proud of my stitching! Until I flipped out the sleeve to reveal I had sewn the cuff inside out! Oh the horror! Those LITTLE zigzag stitches were perfectly lined over the navy blue stripes of the cardigan. I failed to say that my thread color of choice was black, so as not to show that the cuff was separate from the rest of the sleeve.

I did my best trying to remove the stitching, but remember there were TWO layers of it! I couldn't tell if I was pulling my fabric or the thread. In disgust I quit for the night. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Pinned and trimmed.

Ugh! The sleeve is sewn inside-out.

Can you see the stitches? I can't either!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly