Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Soda Bottle Planter

This sunny weather is giving me life!!! A perfect day to get some seeds started for my summer harvest.

Since I do not have many containers for this year's garden, I am recycling a ginger ale bottle that I have on hand. This is very simple to make and only requires items found around the house.

Items Needed for Planter:
  • Washed soda bottle (any size)
  • Seam-ripper or Nail (something sharp for initial hole)
  • Medium-sized screw
  • Phillips Head screw driver (any rounded head)
  • Scissors

If you are planting today, go ahead and have ready:
  • Soil
  • Seeds, seedling or plant
  • Water




STEP 1
Take your bottle and turn it upside down. Make evenly spaced holes at the bottom with the seam-ripper or nail (whatever you have that will make a small hole). My bottle has five raised areas I will use to make my holes. I'm using a seam-ripper to make one hole in the center of each raised area.


STEP 2
Push/twist the screw in each hole to make it slightly wider. Sometimes I'm able to push it through, but this time I had to twist it in. I prefer to pull the screw out in order to make a wider hole.



STEP 3
Push the screw driver through each hole and move it side-to-side, front-and-back, to make the hole even wider. This will also allow the bottle to reshape if the bottle was dented in while performing the previous step.

You should have nice sized holes in the bottom for drainage.

STEP 4
Use the top of bottle wrapper as a guide to cut off the top of the bottle. Cutting this high up will give a deeper container size. You can cut the bottle lower down for the size you prefer.

Continue cutting until the top is removed.
Once the top is removed, I like to clean up the cut for a smoother finish. To do this I cut around the section a second time by going in the opposite direction of the initial cut.

Yay! Now you have your own DIY Soda Bottle Planter! I'm going to plant some seeds, so continue below to see my finished item.

 

STEP 5
Fill your container with soil. I filled mine to about 2" from the top with a layer of garden soil and seed starting potting soil.


STEP 6
Make sure you have your seeds ready and water. At the last minute I decided to not plant carrots in this container and chose these spinach seeds instead. I'm also using a recycled milk jug as my watering container.


STEP 7
Lightly water your soil mixture. Make evenly spaced holes for your seeds. Since this container is smaller than the requirements listed on the seed packet,  I am only making five holes. Once the seedlings grow I intend to move them to a larger container.


STEP 8
Drop a seed in each of the holes.  Gently cover the holes with surrounding soil and give it a good drenching of water.


Your planter is now ready! Place the planter in a good spot and watch your seeds sprout. I labeled a plastic knife with the name of the plant so that I could identify it later. I have several of these on my patio and love the display of color!

Happy Planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly